Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Living with Martial Arts



As I write this blog I find myself thinking of my title " Living with Martial Arts".

What exactly does this mean?

Well I turn to someone that I think has a real world answer to that question,

my instructor - Master Jimmy Miller.


A few years ago when I started this journey into Martial Arts,I found myself rooted into Tae Kwon Do with Mr. Jimmy as an instructor.

Not having much knowledge of this art, I really didn't know what to expect, but quickly was taught a couple of basic lessons by Mr J. that to this day I use regularly with students in and out of the schools.

I always smile a little at one of them when I find myself thinking of the past.

When Mr. Jimmy and myself sparred for the first time, he went thru the basic motions of what to try to work on, which also included blocking.

After about three "pops" upside my head, he simply stopped what he was doing to say, " son, you might want to get your hands up".

Now you might think that this sounds a little trivial but it brings me to my point...

That in Martial Arts one cannot dismiss even the smallest of things that will perhaps aid or assist us later on.

The basic "things" not only work but can also be very usefull when in Martial Arts itself and teaching others, but also extends to way beyond "KARATE" as some would say.

If you ever have been in Martial Arts or are currently still serving you will find that applying these priciples to "real world" applications can and will help you when you least expect it.


Since being in Martial Arts for a number of years I have ;

1st : Learned that all things do revolve around the principles founded in said "Art".


2nd: That you will try and fail more times than you care to remember but that something small like " Perserverance" can help one to keep giving the best that he has to offer at that time.


That being said , I would like to say that if your not in Tae Kwon Do you might want to give it a try, you might find you have more in common with it than you imagined, I did and would like to thank my instructor Mr. Jimmy for giving me my roots that I now have.

If you are in Martial Arts don't forget the ones that helped you get there that took time out of there life ( whether they be instructors or classmates) to teach or show you things that you might not have learned otherwise.


In your own life don't forget the basics or the little things.....

No comments:

Post a Comment